Current Transformer (CT) cables on the 6M & 6W series can be extended
CT cables can usually be extended to 10 meters while maintaining accuracy, using:
- CAT5/6 data communication cable that conforms to a common data communication wire standard UL2464.
- Two conductors that are twisted together (to reduce induced currents from adjacent magnetic fields)
- Double insulation on the cable and join, making it easy to pull cables through boards and conduits.
Regulations require that the cable be:
- Non-flammable (if exposed to flame it should not continue to burn)
- Rated to 300Vrms
Follow the rules that apply to your jurisdiction.
For longer CT cable extensions, or noisy electrical environments, we recommend this test
- Close the CT without a cable in the clamp
- Connect the CT to the Auditor with a current meter in series
- Check that the measured current is below 34mArms*
*Currents above 34mA are above the 'noise-floor' of the Auditor and contribute to Auditor kWh measurements that may cause inaccuracies.
What cables do the 6M & 6W Current Transformers come with?
Wattwatchers Auditor 6W and 6M series use split-core CT clamps. The cables for the CT's supplied by Wattwatchers are 1.8m long, with conductors stripped and tinned so that the multi-strand wires are easily inserted into the CT connector.
Wattwatchers CT cables:
- Conform to UL2464 and are double-insulated.
- Have two conductors that are twisted together to reduce induced currents from adjacent magnetic fields.
- Have pink (+ve) and white (-ve) insulation over the two wires
- Are flexible and white, with an outside diameter of 3.6 mm