Installing a Wattwatchers Auditor device into a Tesla Gateway 2 for solar generation, battery and backup monitoring of a Tesla Powerwall system
The Tesla Gateway acts as the interface between the Grid and the Tesla Battery System to manage the operation of the backup supply. A Wattwatchers Auditor device may need to be installed into the Tesla Gateway if it has been installed as an electrical sub-board that contains the solar, battery, grid and backup supply circuit breakers.
Because this is a complex installation with energy flows in and out of the Gateway, it is worth revisiting our article on the conventions of CT directionality.
The image below shows an example installation for a Tesla Powerwall 2 with full site backup, with the key points of monitoring numbered. Details follow the image.
Figure 1 - Tesla Powerwall Gateway 2 Installation with full site backup and a Wattwatchers Auditor device
- Incoming Grid Supply. Monitor this with a CT if it has not already been monitored in the main switchboard.
- New breaker for the Auditor power supply
- Solar and Battery backup system output. Monitor this with a CT if it has not already been monitored in the main switchboard.
- Solar inverter output monitoring
- Battery system output monitoring
- Wattwatchers Auditor 6 device
Note that these are examples only and may be different from your actual installation.
Please follow all local jurisdictional requirements and product installation documentation.
Tesla Gateway 2 with full site backup
Figure 2 - Tesla Powerwall Gateway 2 example wiring diagram with a Wattwatchers Auditor 6M energy monitoring device and full site backup.
Tesla Gateway 2 with partial site backup
Figure 3 - Tesla Powerwall Gateway 2 example wiring diagram with a Wattwatchers Auditor 6M energy monitoring device and partial site backup.